22 September 2011 | Interviews | Human rights
Download: MP3 (893 kb)
The cries of despair can be heard from Honduras: “I need to tell the whole world, the international human rights organizations, that I still haven’t heard from Santo Bernabe Cruz”, says Rodolfo Cruz, the father of a young man disappeared on Monday 19 September, after a police and military raid in Aguan.
Radio Progreso reported on the incident, published by ALER news agency, saying that some young people were arrested and then taken to a palm oil plantation field. They have not heard from them ever since.
Radio Progreso described the operation “Fuerza Xatruch II” as marked by violent evictions, destruction of houses and imprisonment of activists, all of which caused fear in Aguan in the past few hours.
The Honduran radio station revealed that 50 peasant leaders have been killed so far as part of the land conflict in Aguan. These crimes remain unpunished.
“Militarizing Honduras is not the solution” said Bertha Oliva, general coordinator of the Committee of Families of Detained-Disappeared in Honduras (COFADEH).
The Morazanica Information Network reported that during the operation Fueza Xatruch II, national police helicopters were flying so low that they destroyed peasant houses.
The article published by the website of the National Front of Popular Resistance reads “This is not the first time that top officials of the operation carry out these violations. Last September 16, there were reports of military and police trespassing Rigores community, where they broke into peasant houses beating children and women”.
Real World Radio 2003 - 2018 | All the material published here is licensed under Creative Commons (Attribution Share Alike). The site is created with Spip, free software specialized in web publications. Done with love.